I don’t know about you, but I love playing with food. As a child I remember my mom at Christmas or birthdays with food colouring turning white icings pink or blue depending on who’s birthday it was. Food colouring was fun and it still is but that old school stuff has no place in my pantry. INSTEAD, I turn to healthy superfoods for food colouring fun.
Yesterday was Saturday and I was craving waffles. I have made green waffles using spirulina, chocolate and vanilla using cacao and yesterday my inspiration went toward pink so I used @florafoods beetroot crystals to turn these beauties pink. So much fun!
After a ton of requests for the recipe I decided to get to work to create one for you and here it is. Other options for turning food pink would be gorgeous Acai powder, pitaya (pink dragonfruit) powder and I’ve even seen pomegranate powder. I hope you have as much fun making these as I did!
1c oat flour
1c buckwheat flour
1tbsp vanilla protein powder(I love @nuzest)
1tsp baking powder
1/4tsp fine sea salt
1/2tsp ground ginger
1c cashew milk
1tsp apple cider vinegar
1c water (plus more if desired)
3tbsp melted coconut oil
1.5tsp beetroot crystals (@flora)
1 flax egg (or 1 real egg)
*preheat oven to 200*
- Prepare flax egg and set aside
- Combine milk, water, ACV and Beetroot crystals. Whisk and set aside.
- In separate bowl combine dry ingredients, whisk, and set aside.
- Add flax and wet to dry ingredients and mix gently. The buckwheat flour soaks up ALOT of moisture. At this time you might need to add 1/4c-1/2c more liquid. I added water until I was happy with consistency. Too thin, and it will run, too thick and it won’t spread.
- Heat waffle iron.
- Add in a heaping ladle of batter to waffle iron. Once cooked transfer to a wire rack in preheated oven while you make the rest of the waffles. I yielded 4 large round waffles from this recipe.